minimum XP setup to run ZGE games?

All topics about ZGameEditor goes here.

Moderator: Moderators

jph_wacheski

minimum XP setup to run ZGE games?

Post by jph_wacheski »

Hi guys, The Toronto Indie Game Retrofitted Arcade Cabinet project or TIGRAC is a project of The Hand Eye Society here in Toronto. I am largly responsible for getting the actual machine together,. we have an old laptop donated by jon mac (HP nx-8220),. problem with it is no HD present,. (i alread fixed a broken pin problem with the powersupply) since USB sticks are quite cheap now compared with replacing the ata-6 hd we are trying to get the os to boot from a thumb. I have a miniXP booting and I attempted to run some ZGE .exe files,. since it is some sorta recovery type xp setup on the usb drive drivers and dll's are missing,. I tryed just feeding it the .dll files that the error msgs say,. so far;

dciman32.dll
ddraw.dll
dsound.dll
glu32.dll
opengl32.dll

then i start getting a 'dsound failed' err., . I added dsound.vxd and dsound3d.dll still same err.

any ideas what else it could need?
Suppose I should just wait till I can get a larger usb drive and do a more full install,. or prehaps a bootable dvd setup,. . suggestions welcome!
iterationGAMES.com
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

:?

What capacity does the USB stick have? I'm pretty sure a 2GB stick ( or 1GB even ) would be enough for a proper XP install.

Try running the XP installation on the laptop itself ( make sure to load USB drivers at the start of installation when it prompts for this ) and update the video card drivers + DirectX ( for sound ).

K
kattle87

Post by kattle87 »

that laptop looks like being a good one. It got a Ati Radeon X600 Vga that is quite decent. Should be a little less than a X1600 when it comes to raw power... Actually this is what I could find about it on the internet, at least.
For your concerns... You should really try with 2GB USB minimum... 4 GB recommended IMHO for a full install. Otherwise you could try to start from a full CD and then shrink it ( http://www.nliteos.com/nlite.html nlite does the trick!). Is the other way around what you are doing: instead of adding stuff to a minimal version, you REMOVE stuff from a full one. This way if you don't remove anything about audio you are pretty sure everything will work.
And BTW: About audio, drivers are never installed by Windows by default so be sure you install them (properly ;))
In the fall of 1972 President Nixon announced that the rate of increase of inflation was decreasing. This was the first time a sitting president used the third derivative to advance his case for reelection.
-=Hugo Rossi=-
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

yeah, thanks guys,. this is the conclusion I came to as well,. I was just trying to get a game to work with what I had here,. the usb is too small I think 512mb,. I will requisition for a 2-4gb one from the group. The next social is on thursday, so I will just have to wait.., Cool thing about his lappy (besides being used to create Everyday Shooter) is it has s-video out so we are going to use an old tv for the display,. I have a nice old sony 21 inch one with s-video in and decent sound. Should be rather cool, although limited to 800x600,.. still neat.
iterationGAMES.com
kattle87

Post by kattle87 »

You mean THAT Everyday Shooter? The one sold on PS3 store?

Wow...
In the fall of 1972 President Nixon announced that the rate of increase of inflation was decreasing. This was the first time a sitting president used the third derivative to advance his case for reelection.
-=Hugo Rossi=-
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

yeah the same, (also on Steam ;) ) Jon is a sweet guy who lives in toronto, and a member of the Hand Eye Society., he is working on a new game with another local guy I know, from my live laptop music days, that does some very cool blipy music,. goes by the name 'i am robot and proud';

http://www.robotandproud.com

I look forward to seeing what these guys can come up with,. . (some form of a sideview platformer aparently)
iterationGAMES.com