Windows 11

Any topic not related to ZGE.

Moderator: Moderators

Kjell

Windows 11

Post by Kjell »

Hi guys,

Bit of a troubling development that started in Windows 10 and is taking another step in Windows 11:

Windows 11 requirements
  • Graphics card: Compatible with DirectX 12 or later, with a WDDM 2.0 driver.
The result of this is that any Intel GPU up to 7th generation chipsets ( Ivy Bridge ) will only support OpenGL 1.1 :( Not exactly sure what the cut-off will be for NVIDIA & AMD GPUs as they haven't released their Windows 11 drivers yet. There's probably not much that can be done about this, but i do think this is worth being aware of.

K
VilleK
Site Admin

Re: Windows 11

Post by VilleK »

Hi Kjell,

That sounds strange. How can a requirement for a certain level of DirectX compatibility end up with some GPUs only supporting OpenGL 1.1?
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hej Ville,
VilleK wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:26 amThat sounds strange. How can a requirement for a certain level of DirectX compatibility end up with some GPUs only supporting OpenGL 1.1?
It's not the DirectX part, it's the WDDM 2.0 requirement. GPUs that have reached EOL will ( probably ) not get drivers for Windows 11 and thus get stuck with a software-emulated OpenGL 1.1 when there's no WDDM 2.0 compatible driver available.

Same thing happened with for example 2nd generation Intel GPUs ( Sandy Bridge ) when upgrading to Windows 10. On Windows 8 these chipsets supported up to OpenGL 3.1, but on Windows 10 only OpenGL 1.1 was available :?

K
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

I see. I wish there would be a generic OpenGL driver that translates calls to DirectX or Metal. The ANGLE project is interesting but only supports GLES. I would like full desktop OpenGL 1.0 to 3.0 functionality available everywhere.