ZGE under WINE and games under Linux

All topics about ZGameEditor goes here.

Moderator: Moderators

kattle87

ZGE under WINE and games under Linux

Post by kattle87 »

Actually, I have discovered a STRANGE behaviour under wine, but I was able to work on my project using the WINE layer 1.0-ReleaseCandidate on Ubuntu linux, and this is a big win for me :)
The point is: when i want to add a new component, if I right click then choose "Add a new component" the chooser is shown then the entire GUI locks in, and i have to start a terminal to kill WINE. If I press "ctrl+a" the chooser works perfectly!!!!
I am wondering: WHAT THE HELL????? :D The only reasonable answer is that popups are not handled very well by wine...

Finally, I can't get my games working under Linux: I build a Linux game then when I try to start it i get the message "OpenGL could not be loaded". What packets do I need to have installed exactly?
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

I'm glad to hear you got it working under Wine!

ZGE-runtime looks for "libGL.so".

I'm no Linux expert but I know you can make links in the filesystem, so if you have OpenGL installed as "libGL.so.2" you can type this to make a link:

Code: Select all

sudo ln -s libGL.so.2 libGL.so
Please let me know if you encounter any more problems.
kattle87

Post by kattle87 »

I have a question regarding MacOsX (I'm updating the wiki).
Is the support for MacOsX limited to x86 intel CPUs? Because I noticed something similar giving a look to the ZGE source yesterday...
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Yes, ZGE Mac OSX support is limited to x86-processors. The reason for this is both that there are short snippets of x86-assembler (math-routines) in the source, and also that the binary data streaming of ZGE is not written to handle the different byte-ordering of PowerPC. It could be fixed but I'm not sure it would be worth the effort now when all new Mac-computers are Intel-based.
kattle87

Post by kattle87 »

Is linux support also limited to x86 CPUs?
Because I was going to buy a Neo FreeRunner which is linux based, (should have) 2D/3D acceleration but is ARM-based.
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

The binary for Linux that ZGE generates is Intel-based. Freepascal can compile code for ARM so a port of the player should be possible with only a little bit of effort. I'll help you if you want to try.
diki

Post by diki »

kattle: did you need to install any native dll's / perform any tricks to get zge working in wine? i'm at a loss regarding the wall of debug that wine throws at me ;) ... running games made with zge works nicely, though.
kattle87

Post by kattle87 »

last time I checked I had to do nothing but fire up the exe.. It complained a lot but in the end worked (BTW: if you get stuck when opening a dialog, try pressing esc before powering down your PC)
I might give it a try with the latest vers to see what happens
In the fall of 1972 President Nixon announced that the rate of increase of inflation was decreasing. This was the first time a sitting president used the third derivative to advance his case for reelection.
-=Hugo Rossi=-