Time-Step Limiter

Share your ZGE-development tips and techniques here!

Moderator: Moderators

Kjell

Time-Step Limiter

Post by Kjell »

:idea:

Should have been build-in, but it's a piece of cake to do yourself. A minimum time-step limiter .. when the framerate drops below this limit, the game slows down.

Code: Select all

Limit = 1/15; // Minimum at 15FPS

if(App.DeltaTime < Limit)Delta = App.DeltaTime; else Delta = Limit;
Obviously you shouldn't use the Model.Velocity property anymore when taking this approach, but the same goes when writing your own Collision / Physics library.

K
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

I believe if you set a fixed frame rate to your game then deltatime will never go below that rate. But we should also have a built-in guard to prevent deltatime from being zero. Have you run into problems with too small deltatime?
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hej Ville,

The thing is .. when using a fixed framerate the desired rate is also the time-step limit, meaning that your game will always "slow down" when the desired rate isn't met. While with the solution I posted you can determine a range in which your game uses a variable time-step, while switching to the fixed delta when the framerate drops below a certain number.

+ This is a solution for dealing with delta times that are too high .. not too low ( there is no such thing :wink: ).

K
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Ah, I didn't notice it was a max step limiter, I read it too quickly.

ZGE already have a built-in max limiter at 10 fps.

ZApplication.pas line 722:

MaxUpdateStep = 1.0 / 10;
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

:)

Was aware of that as well, but it's probably too complicated for most users that they have to recompile the source when they want a limit other then 10fps. Would be ideal if it was a property on App :wink:

K
kattle87

Post by kattle87 »

Agreed! We do need something like this I think ;)
Because for some games, it can be really useful to set a limit, to prevent missing collisions, and stuff.
In the fall of 1972 President Nixon announced that the rate of increase of inflation was decreasing. This was the first time a sitting president used the third derivative to advance his case for reelection.
-=Hugo Rossi=-