Webmasters

All topics about ZGameEditor goes here.

Moderator: Moderators

luster123

Webmasters

Post by luster123 »

Can anyone here make a good username/password form? for a website.
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hi Dexter,

I'm afraid you'll have to be a little more specific then that. The (X)HTML of the actual form? The CSS to make the form look good? The underlying PHP / ASP code to deal with the user session / cookies and such? The structure of the back-end SQL / flat-file XML database containing the user data? None of these are ZGE related in any way though ...

There are good forums and communities on each of those topics. Google around a bit :wink:

K
luster123

Post by luster123 »

the html code for a form so that competitors can register to the site first so they dont have to do it each time.
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hi Dexter,

Just a HTML form isn't going to do it. You need to process the data posted by the form for something to actually happen. Have a look at W3Schools to learn more about Web Development.

K
luster123

Post by luster123 »

I am having a problem setting up a MySQL database on my server, it wants me to login and when i do it logs in for 2 secs then logs out again. What do you recommend?
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hi Dexter,

I recommend contacting your web hosting service provider :wink:

K
luster123

Post by luster123 »

lol the submit tickets does not even work, i think I might have to make a registration site. for the competitions and maybe make up some more competitions.
kattle87

Post by kattle87 »

Make it dirt and fast. Look for stuff like a forum ;) like other comp do!
In the fall of 1972 President Nixon announced that the rate of increase of inflation was decreasing. This was the first time a sitting president used the third derivative to advance his case for reelection.
-=Hugo Rossi=-
diki

Post by diki »

i agree. considering the (speculated) size & nature of the zge community, there is no need to make everything shiny, smooth & official. concentrate on the fun parts and keep tedious issues like organization at a minimum. you probably don't want to drain your energy with setting up a complex custom system (unless of course thats your kind of thing) when a simple forum is enough to keep organized, at least at the scale we're looking at here.
luster123

Post by luster123 »

well, wat I wanted to do was have a form that can be used on the one site and the other, I dont know how to use the forum form in my website.
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hi Dexter,

Maybe you should look at something like Ning, which let's you create a social networking site / community without writing a single line of code yourself. It doesn't get much easier then that, and gives you allot more flexibility then just a forum.

In case you don't mind a bit of scripting, I recommend BoltWire, which is even more flexible + free / ad-free unlike Ning.

K
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

BoltWire is interesting,. have you succesfully used it somewhere I can see?
iterationGAMES.com
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hey jph,

The BoltWire site itself is powered by BoltWire :wink: Go to their sandbox page to try out the markup, or just install a copy on your server, local Linux / Unix box, or a Windows machine using something like XAMPP .. only takes a minute. Being able to mess around with it yourself probably gives the best impression on how and what it can do.

It's very flexible, you have full control over how a page is constructed, both in content as in layout .. even the back-end can be changed dramatically without having to touch any source code. Quite a nice system for small dynamic sites.

*This thread is material for the yet-to-be-created? Off-Topic category 8)

K
jph_wacheski

PmWiki

Post by jph_wacheski »

I tryed Boltwire however it did not seem to work on my server,. so I looked here and found PmWiki,. looks very deep feature-wise and has a load of stuff already working for it,.

Here is my first attempt;

http://www.iterationgames.com/pmwiki/pm ... -phyterNeo

I am just working with one of the standard templets, however I am learning how stuff works and I like the layout as it is organized,. I will keep working on it and try to make it more visualy interesting,. I would like to also get more functionality like adding RSS feeds for each group,. so if you subscribe to games you get just that,. . etc.

feedback welcome.
iterationGAMES.com
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hey jph,

Hmm, sounds peculiar.. does your webhost run PHP in safe mode or something ( use "phpinfo();" to check ) ? PmWiki is a pretty nice CMS / Wiki solution as well though.

Good luck!
K